I believe Holden is both static and dynamic. Technically if I really had to choose between one or the other I would say Holden is a static character but because in ever part of the book Holden is never fully on one side I believe even in this aspect he is both.

    Reading more into chapters 15-20 I never really saw any growth in relation to Holdens coping strategies.  Holden continually uses his hat as a physical comfort zone, keeping in touch with his depressive thoughts. Not only was that another rough area unresolved but his opinions as well lasted till the very end. With every presented opportunity as well, is wasted. Holden states “I feel some concern for my future” (page 14) and by the end of the book he has this similar outlook but when
 Mr. Antolini tries to help him by  granting Holden a place to stay, Holden leaves reacting on impulse.




    I concur however that Holden is also a dynamic character because although he was easily bothered by his perspective of his reality as an evil or corrupt place, he eventually comes to the conclusion that he cant change it. Thus, showing change within himself. The first instance demonstrating this progressive behavior would be when he witnessed the profane writting all over Phoebes school. Within this moment he acknowledges that it is inevitable to avoid adulthood and preserve innocence. I propose that throughout the novel he avoids that next step in his life because he isnt ready to move on and forget his brother Allie. A frequently mentioned symbol, the hunting hat like I previously stated was a comfort zone but what I've come to believe is the hat is also a hidding place. When hes in the rain futher on into the chapters he realizes the hat no longer has a devine purpose of protection and adulthood is unavoidable.


   So although I understand Holden will also be followed by his gloomy, stubborn attitude, I feel throughout his chaotic journey he also has picked up on a few different, more accepting outlooks which is why it makes sense to me why an extremely in between character would be both static and dynamic. I believe Holden reached a more balanced than before state, when he noticed the Eskimo fishing in the ice at the exhibit. I perceived this as a slow but constant movement of life even under a cold exterior which use to be only seen by him as even the fish freezing in the ice. I think this is representing that under Holdens hard shell, there is still some sort of movmemt towards the future.
 

Comments

  1. As I read your blog, I saw transition in your opinion in Holden, however I did not see any quotes to support your claims. I saw zero analyzation of symbols even though the only picture I see relates to the fishbowl (secret goldfish) symbol. You also never mention what creates his sadness or separate what makes him dynamic or static rather it ran together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although your analysis is really strong I feel that you could have used this analysis to pick a side and focus on him being static or dynamic, rather than doing both equally. regardless, I like what you had to say so good job homie :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the previous comments stated, its best to choose one side of the argument on whether or not Holden is dynamic or static. It's impossible to explain how a character remains the same throughout the story while changing at the same time. Also clearly state in what areas Holden was dynamic. As for your analysis, you showed thorough understanding of the book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts