Upon reading Catcher and the Rye itself isnt that great to me but the character development is pretty intense. I  belive the primary level of this book isnt too intriguing to me or anything i’d read again but I do feel however curious about the secondary levels. My imediate thoughts on Holden is he’s pessimistic and even a little close minded to anyone not up to his standards. I personally still believe that but I understand the resoning behind his coldness. He goes on in every chapter to share his hatred or point out his dislike for “phonies” but Holden is just as impractical. I believe his careless behavior as well as lack of genuine feeling is just a facade since i’ve noticed he tends to reassure himself with phrases such  as “I really do” a lot after stating some sort of opinion.

Along with more in-depth analysts, just a small anecdote parades a connection between all of Holdens undesirable characteristics. At the young age of thirteen Holden lost his younger brother to cancer, this shut a lot of doors for him in many different capacities. I have confidence in my beliefs that Holden never met anyone up to his standards because they’re constantly compared to his brother, as well as having no trust that they will stay. This can be one of the main reasons for his self reassurance. He is often pertrayed quoting  “i really do” because of the lose of his brother stirring up  feelings of uncertainties. The repition in his mind is his way of solidifying that he is ok and not alone.  


I cant say I completely agree with his behavior because I dont feel its anyway to live but I feel like I can certainly sympathize. His lack of motivation shows through the absence of his effort in school work and the theme of mental abandonment. I’d describe him as a shadow following behind. No where in the book has he been  described yet as being physically alone, hes never just in his room or in a vacant park he’s described in the background of some public event or with someone face to face. He doesnt know how to converse, I surmise he was only ever close as a friend to his brother. Holden is coming down from the high of being reliant. I believe at one point he was even reliant on his parents for material device. Consequent to investigation however I perceive now he doesnt accept sentimental gifts do to the fact he doesnt feel he deserves them anymore.

Comments

Popular Posts