Puppy Love

Salamauno & his dog:
I found this relationship to souley be the deepest out of all. I’d say the bond between these two include all that were listed besides sexual...I hope.  Casual or uninteresting on the surface, an old man finding attention through a pet. Deeper I find, even though twisted, there are roots of friendship or even reliance on each other. Salamano expresses his personal outburst towards the dog, leaving us under the impression that it’s a normal occurrence in his daily life. After reading “Then he beats the dog and swears at it...”  was disheartening but as twisted as it is, neither of them actually hate the other. They hold a mutual feeling of loyalty because they chose not to leave despite the act itself being deeply shallow or sad to witness. Not only must it be sad to encounter but to live in that way is depressive. I think his dog feels its natural instinctive property of love towards Solamano but I also feel there’s a deeper understanding that Salamano is doing it out of need. I notice this may be the only way the old lonley man can vent. Even though still wrong I hypothesize this is a shared link between all characters, vices for dealing with pain. Not only that but the abusive commonality between each character relasionship so far even though strongly circled around the main character Marcelle and his negative tendencies. I  believe Salamano and his dog however  would also be seen as a symbol of harsh sacrifice, something neither of the couples introduced are willing to intake. I do not condone to beating a pet of course but in this specific symbolic case I feel this is so far the deepest relationship yet. Its easier to propose all this book may be is distasteful but I’m very intrigued personally even if it may just be me digging into things that werent purposefully deep. 

Comments

Popular Posts